Monday, January 26, 2009

My Life, and other distractions



It's been a whirlwind of impacted activities lately. Whirlwind is such a tame cliche, how about a hurricane of activities? Midterms, moving, all that other stuff.. then my daughter's birthday sneaks up on me. Turning 8 is a big deal, and I didn't want to rob her of her right to a lavish party just because I was a little busy, so I rented out the Mt. Scott skating rink. That place is awesome for a few reasons- they let you play your own music (Lola's playlist consisted of La Bouche, Neil Young and New Order), they let you bring your own food (carrot sticks and brownies for us), and they have great skates. The rink itself is not as large or elegant as Oaks Park, and there's no cool old photo booth, but it doesn't smell like old pizza, and you can rent the entire thing out for private parties at a very affordable rate. Fortunately, I didn't have to look far for great presents for her. She'd been eyeing a deck of Magic Cards for a while- they come with punctured aces, two-sided cards, blank cards and all kinds of crazy stuff. Now all I need is time to sit still while she practices them all on me. I need to practice my "amazed" face. There's some Steve Martin quote about how everybody loves when tricks get messed up- honestly, it's adorable, but I'd feel so bad if I laughed aloud.
-sara
Flutter has these amazing stamps right now from the fifties and up, from Hungary and India and all over really, and they're 15 for $1! I could spend all day sifting through the box of them, the pictures are gorgeous. I made a collage with a stamp that looks just like her, reading a book- how appropriate! It's the first thing she hung in her new room.

No comments: