Monday, November 3, 2008



Well as you can see, we kept the election out of our blog posts until now. It really has not been too difficult. The shop/blog/website is such a natural distraction from every day life for me, politics just never really crossed my mind to write about. But, tonight I feel it and felt that I would like to write about it.

On the eve of our presidential election I feel somewhat calm. Yes, I have a vision of how I would like it to go and yes I have a candidate that I want to win. The calm is somewhat strange and uncomfortable. Maybe I think my candidate will win and I can't believe that anyone could vote differently. What are they crazy...haven't they seen the debates, it's so clear of what direction the country needs to go? No, I don't think that's what gives me those calm feelings because there are so many out there that hold complete, opposing views and are heading to the polls tomorrow. Business has been incredibly good this past month and according to all reports it shouldn't be. Are people spending nervously or do they just love my store?, so no that's not giving me any calm vibes. My husband, Oliver said shouldn't you be basking in your recent success especially since all odds are against you right now? I think I will just keep grinding my teeth, just in case my good fortune goes away tomorrow with the election. Gee doesn't a small business owner ever get a good nights sleep? But, for some reason tonight there is calm...I don't know is it that I can't quite fathom another election being lost in my view? Can I really go to bed tomorrow night thinking it is certain, I mean after all it sure did change overnight in the last election. You go to bed thinking one thing and by morning there's a whole new president. Just the thought of that should rock my calmness. No, I think for as corny as it may seem...I still believe in the American people. I believe in my Mississippi community and the city of Portland. I believe republican or democrat, we will come together and overcome our obstacles, build dreams for our future and our children. I have to....I have little ones. It's what keeps me doing what I'm doing and builds their future to keep them doing what they are doing. What can I say, I've often been accused of seeing the glass half full, a sunny personality, blind optimist. Maybe so, but it sure makes my every day living easier along with a glass of wine or 2! We all have a voice and it's important to express it in a respectful tone. Daily I do business with folks I enjoy, respect and admire their artistry and abilities, who clearly have a major difference of opinion from me on some pretty serious issues. I was asked the other night how I could do business with people who had this belief or had that belief? It was so easy for me to answer. We are free to think what we think and practice what we practice, is that not what our country was founded on? My tolerance and respect is great for opposing views as long as the tolerance and respect is there for me. That's what Flutter is all about. Put it out there and put it out there well with respect for all to see, enjoy and ponder...it makes life a hell of a lot more interesting when we are all challenged in thought!

So with all my rambling on....the only message I have here is to vote and vote for the candidate who represents you, but please be respectful of those who vote differently than you and realize in the end we all have to come together and work together for the good of our country and our children.

please vote!
Cindy....the blind optomist

1 comment:

sara said...

i've got tears in my eyes, cindy. thanks. you rock.