Thursday, September 11, 2008

Suzani!


I have just finished up these beautiful pillows for Flutter. Cindy had given me some amazing old Suzanis that she picked up. The colors are amazing on these, as well as the embroidery. Reds, turquoise, green, magentas. Fantastic. A little fringe here, a tassel there. Not much I needed to do to these elaborate fabrics, they speak for themselves. My favorite is the green silk, which is about 50 years old.

"Suzani" means needlework. These embroideries are traditional handwork done by Uzbekistan women. A piece is generally started with the birth of a girl child, and then work continues until she is married and given as part of her dowry. It's cool to see how these pieces are put together of many strips of cloths and the crazy stitches. Can you imagine sitting and sewing thousands of perfect little rows? I can't! I'm glad women are still keeping this tradition alive for the rest of us to enjoy.

The pillows are going to be put out for todays grand fall re-opening of Flutter. I can't wait to see where Cindy has put them. I went to deliver them to her yesterday during her big change over, and she is the hardest working shop owner I have ever met, and one of the most creative. The store is going to be a sight today! The change from summer to fall, the light to dark is great. I was having a hard time looking at her while talking there were so many new things to look at. Last night I was even dreaming of that green velvet, tufted sofa with the green bullion fringe! Oh! And the orange chandelier! Ahh! Dangerous place for me!

Oh! Come if you can, but if you can't make it, we'll have pictures for you!

2 comments:

sara said...

hey susan-
i am finally getting more comfortable with the software and the layout. see, i can even leave comments now! i really miss the old days when i could experience the wonder of the internet in my home and not on my breaks at flutter or at the library. your blog is awesome, and i know i've said so before but your eye for combining colors and textures in your designs is so amazing. my favorite things so far are the abstracty turquoise and olive coverlet with puffy tassels, and the new crazy uzbekish stuff. don't you think the designs on the embroidery would make great tattoos? please, keep blowing my mind.

Lees Lamar said...

This Blogger thing is very easy to use after you go through the initial
OMG, what do I do?

And thank you for the complement, I am always glad to hear them! And yes to the tattoo designs. I personally think that paisley would make great tattoos, but I'm already on a tangent and I don't think they would mix well with what I have.